This whole week was dedicated to getting her eyes done, finishing the ears, and adding a few details. I am pretty happy with this quilt because it does look like a grizzly bear, but it is NOT 399! I will need to do this again in order to get a likeness. I can see right away where I went wrong in the likeness, but as far as it looking like a grizzly portrait (which will work in my series), I am happy with it. Here are some details of the work this week:
First, I removed the eye place holders. These were placed in the beginning so that I wouldn’t lose my perspective of where the eyes, nose, ears, etc fit with each other in the face. It is very easy to get features lopsided when you are working up close. I had to step away many times to get a look from afar. When I started mapping out the eyes, I was surprised at how small a grizzly bear’s eyes are compared to the head and other features.
Nervously, I began stitching the left eye socket shadows, then the eye, then some blending so that the eye would merge into the fur around the eye. Here is the completed left eye. The first eye is always the easiest! The second eye has to line up with the first one and match in color, etc.
The right eye was slightly different in shape since the head was turned to the right a little bit. Once that was lightly penned in, I began stitching. Even though I fretted and worried and even shed a tear or two, I managed to get the whole head finished. I do think I need to go back in to blend a few places…